Welcome

Comments

• Omg, Hugggieeesss to all the familiar names! Welcome home everyone!
  • I cannot believe this is happening.

• teeheehee - a couple of circles and I found the "true" Welcome thread. Hello, hello one and all!
  • Praying for patience here! I can't wait, but I will won't I? So excited!!
  • I can't believe this is really happening, can't wait to get playing again.
  • Hi all :) Where do you put your name down to test the game?
  • edited January 2015
    Seems we just have to be patient, participate and make ourselves known and at a later date more testers will be chosen based on a currently unknown method : )
  • So good to see everyone!
  • Yay!! I'm ready!!
  • "Squealzzz"..I mean..Hiii :D ..."waves" Like a frantic Glitchen!!!!!
  • It must be a Dream............Or?
    MrsHeart
  • ...and the countdown is on to when I can squeeze chooks again!
  • ~~Hello to all the new people~~ Welcome home!!
  • Is it the medication or is my heart exploding?! I'm so happy! Glitch, and before that, Faunasphere were/are my favorite games, and the only MMOGs that I've ever liked. The people, the community, and really the fact that both were co-op/non-violent were what made them so magical. <3 I've been going back through the Glitch content and esp the notes people left, and oh my! The feels! The tears! The laughing while crying! <3 <3 <3
    Don't mind me; I'll just be over here, quivering with excitement in the corner. If my heart does explode, does anybody know CPR? Is that a game skill now? It should be.
  • edited February 2015
    ( @murgatroyd can I enquire as to what the source for your username is? I read a delightful series of books with that name in it and I can't help but wonder if that's where you picked it up!)
  • @LizaThrottlebottom
    Oh, thank you! Of course you may ask! And no, I didn't pick it up from some cool book series, though I'm curious about which series you're talking about now! Idk where I even first heard the name, but I've always loved it and used it for screen names. It's even the name I gave my computer. :-)
  • Also, I have a weird question: how is this game going to make money? Glitch went down b/c it couldn't make enough to cover costs: what can you tell me about how this game plans to make more money, so I can sleep at night knowing my fave game won't die on me again?
    More micro-transactions? Paid subscription fees for all users? Subscriptions for more game content? Reducing the availability of resources to force players to make more micro-transactions or reduce free-to-play map size to force serious players to pay for a subscription? These are all just guesses. I'd love to know what you guys plan, or what ideas you've been throwing around in this area!
    Also, feel free to tell me you don't know yet, or aren't ready to make such an announcement, or that I'm asking in the wrong forum or something, haha.
  • edited February 2015
    @Murgatroyd It was The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. Great little series of books, very digestible, written for young adults. The series deconstructs a TON of common fantasy tropes in side-splitting fashion. One of my favorites.

And the reference is that a very unusual witch named Morwen has NINE cat companions and NONE of them are black as a proper witchy cat should be ; ) It just so happens that one of her cats is named Murgatroyd! (Along with such other gems as Jasper, Fiddlesticks, Chaos, Scorn, and Miss Eliza Tudor!)

((Also I hate to answer for the staff since I'm not in the know, but it sounds right now like they're in the 'We don't know' stage. Because right now all the staff members are volunteers so all there is are server costs and any other expenses we don't know about. And it will be a long time before we know how big Eleven will get and such. Perhaps they'll have to sell credits one day to cover server costs, but if I know the integrity of this dev team I don't think there will ever be any non-decorative content behind a paywall, nor any microtransactions! That's simply not in the Glitchy spirit. I could see a monthly subscription requirement, but nothing more invasive or negative than that! Personally I'd be very happy if Eleven was subscription based. I'd happily pay a lot of money to play Eleven with a few thousand other dedicated folks : ) ))
  • omg @"Liza Throttlebottom" I love those books! i actually have a cat named Jasper because of them :)
  • I would totally pay monthly just to play again :D
  • edited February 2015
    @EiraFae Yeeeeeees, they're the best aren't they? I'm glad you have a Jasper of your own : ) Do they match up personality wise ;)?

Also @Star Absolutely agree!
  • @Murgatroyd we are volunteers here - the primary costs we need to cover are to keep the servers running, and some miscellaneous expenses related to keeping the game running. TS had several full time salaries to pay, and if you search around the forum, you'll see some discussion about how it was never going to earn enough to please the venture capital investors.
  • Okay, great! Thanks! That all sounds good. :-) I was hoping it'd be something like that!
    And as far as subscriptions, although it'd be worth the money to pay a subscription, I don't have the money to do that. But maybe there could be a donate button? Or like an in-game thing where you could donate real money to the giant of your choice and receive some surprise the next game day in return? That would be in the glitchy spirit!
    And, @LizaThrottlebottom, I'll put those on hold at my library! Also I agree that my suggestions were not in the glitchy spirit: I'm an anxious person and I threw out the worst possible scenarios because I was worried those things might be tempting, as lots of games these days do do those things. But of course that's part of what made Glitch so great! (That it avoided those things, even at the expense of dying.)
  • Clarification: when I said "donate to the giant of your choice", I meant "donate to their shrine"
  • Glitch had a large overhead of around 40 staff to pay, plus servers, from what it looks like the venture capitalists wanted a much much larger return far faster than would ever be possible, at least doubling the size of the playerbase, on top of that there were stability issues with how the game was built. This time around all volunteers, the backend systems were rebuilt differently than in Glitch to avoid the stability issues, and there are no venture capitolists. So pretty much all that needs to be paid for (for sure anyway) is the servers.
  • Well good! Sounds like a better start, and better financial outcomes! (e.g., the game not dying)
  • And, with regards to what lyrical mentioned, I'm very optimistic that this player base and this dev team will come up with ways to get those servers paid for and any other costs covered without resorting to anything crazy : ) Glitch fostered a very wonderful spirit and I just don't see Eleven being any different!

Also @Murgatroyd I totally understand you on the anxiety front! I've struggled with that myself in other spheres and I can imagine being scared Eleven would fall to the dark side (heh) but I think we'll pull through :D
  • Hi, everyone! :D
  • If there ever is a monthly subscription rate, and I can easily pay twice that much each month, I would request a charity of some sort be established so benefactors could help those who need a bit of financial aid.