Glitch Holidays :

2»

Comments

• Another post, because "Body is 1743 characters too long."

This is where we get into the holidays that I made up names for.

I-Day (Tii) - Widdershins 3rd and Widdershins 9th
    On the first Twoday of the month of Widdershins is I-Day. On the second Twoday of the month of Widdershins is also I-Day. A smooth, linear rise in festivities occurs from the first I-Day to the second I-Day. Crystallography starts to become more efficient, elements get more excitable, and potions become more potent. After the second I-Day ends, everything abruptly returns to normal, as is the way of Tii.
    >I tried to base this off of the idea of Tii being coldly mathematical. If he has a holiday, it seemed to me that it would have a high degree of specificity and rigidity, which I tried to reflect in the "linear rise" and abrupt return to normalcy.
    >The reason I called the two days "I-Day" is because he has two of the letter "i" in his name.

Flutter (Cosma) - Fever 67th - 73rd
    On the last six days of Fever, as the day numbers rise to a peak, it is time to celebrate all things high! Glitchen jump a bit higher, butterflies give a bit more milk, chickens are grainier, rainbow juice is more potent, and balloons are freely distributed! (Just between you and me, Purple might be a little stronger as well!) At the final day of Flutter, everything flutters! Glitchen now leap and bound through the skies, piggies and chickens find themselves airborne, and... well, don't put anything down for too long.
    >Could be either fun or annoying.

Walkersday (Humbaba) - Date Undecided
    A time for all things on legs! Pigs, chickens, foxes, crabs... even Glitchen! Pigs are more nibble-able, chickens more squeeze-able, crabs more jam-able, and foxes... become more clever. Well. That pattern kind of fell apart. Foxes will be a little faster, and a little more clever. Sloths will be a bit more lazy, but if you can flag one down at a good time, you may get a bonus for your trouble! Bounties are higher, but for some, they may require a bit more effort... Glitchen, however, also enjoy some benefits! Higher speed, better energy, better moods... Of course, keep in mind that Juju Bandits and Bureaucrocs enjoy some benefits as well...
    >Again, could be either fun or annoying.
    >I figured that Glitchen should get boosts during this one, too, given that they're on legs and all.

Friendship (The Rook, formerly Friendly) - Doom 1st - 5th
    Once a wonderful holiday lasting the entire month of Wonder, it has since become a time of horror, as the Rook began to crash the party every year! Since then, the month has been renamed Doom, and the Rook attacks with more intensity every time it comes around, piling on more and more frequent attacks for the entire month of Doom. One must wonder if it will soon target the other holidays...
    >I needed something to balance out Friendly getting dominion over a holiday that wasn't previously his.
    >Also, I rather like the idea of there being a little bit of lore behind the holiday.
    >Not entirely sure about the month name being changed. Might be better if the month was always named Doom.

Remembrance (Glitch) - Remember 37th
    On the last day of Zilloween is Remembrance. On this day, we commemorate the Ur that once was and make sure not to forget it. In addition, Stoot's Thinking Spot is considered the place to gather, to stare out and think together, and remember what once was, and what once again is.
    >Just something to commemorate Glitch.
    >Doesn't need to last more than a Glitch day, just... as long as it's there.
  • Yeah, I saw it, I just know that resurrecting month-old threads tends to be considered bad forum etiquette.
  • Not here since many of the forum threads are about a month old or more since it's not super high volume right now. I've noticed that folks here tend to prefer to keep the topics together if there is already a thread about it. If they don't want them resurrected, they will close them.
  • Hmm. In that case, I wonder if I can get this one deleted...
  • @Seeen - I merged the two threads. I don't have any issues with "gravedigging"...I prefer tidy discussions. Unless you're bumping old threads with totally irrelevant comments, post in any thread you like to keep the discussion going.
  • @Seeen I'm intrigued by some of your holiday ideas (Pot Twoday and Root look especially cool; I like the Mardi Gras elements and the thought of an elusive iMG tree that only shows up during Root is neato), tho I have to ask -- why did you reassign Belabor Day?

Personally I always thought of Recurse as a Tii thing cause I think it fits in with a lot of their symbolism to have a day that's not one month or the other (and because Tii's the only giant I can see making a fuss about intercalary days). Plus, sigma (the Recurse symbol) is the sign for summation (basically, adding everything up), which would make sense for an end-of-year holiday based around Tii. So it's interesting to see the way others interpret it.

I'd like to elaborate on what you have for Remembrance -- I was getting a vibe from it that made me think of the numerous holidays around Oct 31-Nov 2 which involve the dead or spirits in some capacity, and I'm now realizing that you've placed it at the end of Zilloween, so that might be intentional. Anyway. What if, on that day, we saw ghosts? More along the lines of Gwendolyn than the Phantom Glitch. We've got some pre-existing NPCs to have ghosts of, like Esquibeth, Hispikulus, and Abstrixia. There could also be some sort of will o' wisp or other spirit-y creature that only shows up on that day, too. And the ghosts/spirits could talk about things related to the day.
  • edited May 2015
    @"Galaxy Dynamite"

"I have to ask -- why did you reassign Belabor Day?"
    Mainly because in-story lore talked about how everyone would always drink like crazy when it came around. While it does seem like it was initially made to be a day for all eleven giants, the large amounts of drinking without other festivities kind of made it seem more Friendly-ish. So I tried to craft an explanation for it being a Friendly holiday that fits with the already-existing lore and the preconception about it being a holiday for all eleven giants.

"Personally I always thought of Recurse as a Tii thing cause I think it fits in with a lot of their symbolism to have a day that's not one month or the other (and because Tii's the only giant I can see making a fuss about intercalary days). Plus, sigma (the Recurse symbol) is the sign for summation (basically, adding everything up), which would make sense for an end-of-year holiday based around Tii. So it's interesting to see the way others interpret it."

Eh, that was kind of the intention, except also not? It seems like, at year's end, Glitchen would want to celebrate all of the domains, and I tried to note in the holiday description that Tii is indeed preparing the calendar for next year, and adding up all of the days. I kind of wanted to imply that Tii is the one who assigned the holidays and such, and the one who makes time tick, and I figured it would be fun if Tii's own holiday made reference to the two I's in the name that so many people tend to forget.

"I'd like to elaborate on what you have for Remembrance -- I was getting a vibe from it that made me think of the numerous holidays around Oct 31-Nov 2 which involve the dead or spirits in some capacity, and I'm now realizing that you've placed it at the end of Zilloween, so that might be intentional. Anyway. What if, on that day, we saw ghosts? More along the lines of Gwendolyn than the Phantom Glitch. We've got some pre-existing NPCs to have ghosts of, like Esquibeth, Hispikulus, and Abstrixia. There could also be some sort of will o' wisp or other spirit-y creature that only shows up on that day, too. And the ghosts/spirits could talk about things related to the day."

I personally really, really like this idea. Also, I did place it at the end of Zilloween for partly that reason, but also because Zilloween happens to take place in the month of Remember.
  • edited May 2015
    The problem with Tii is if you look up the descript for that Giant is Tii is about numbers / logic / science and is cold and calculating. But Tii is also the primary Giant for Alchemy, so something could be worked in with that. So a holiday about rebirth would work, but most things that are more about social would not go to Tii, and moreso to Giants like Friendly, Zille or Alph which are the more social Giants. I dont think anymore ghost themed holidays are needed, Zilloween is already a long holiday but adding more to it isnt a bad idea. As for Belabor it was looked up and stated it was for all Giants. But imo, it might be best to break from that and still assign it to primarily one as the calender is crowded enough as it is. Possibly making Belabor Friendly and Recurse and Recurse Eve Tii, or Recurse Eve Friendly and Recurse Tii...and reposted the list below
  • edited May 2015
    http://www.glitchthegame.com/calendar/year-40/

AlphCon - Alph

Lemadan - Lem

PotTwoday - Pot

Root - Spriggan

Sprinkling - Grendaline

Croppaday - Mab

Belaborday - Belongs to ALL Giants ( highly debated )

Recurse Eve/Recurse ( highly debated )

Zilloween - Zille

No Holidays yet:

Humaba

Cosma

Tii

Friendly

Months of Fever Doom and Widdershins have no holidays yet

Mostly curious about what we could actually do for the ones we already have, as far as i know they are just named and thats pretty much it
  • Im in favor of Widdershins for Humbaba, Fever for Cosma and Doom for Friendly or Tii
  • Any chance we could figure out a way to do something with the Hindu Holi? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi

You dance, party and throw colored powders on each other.

It just seems like such a Glitchy opportunity--vendors could sell colors and we could splatter other Glitchen with them or we could make potions that we could pour on each other that would make us multicolored or it could be like Hi's only colors. Or something. Plus we could make special seasonal foods.
  • I love all of these suggestions so much! I also think it is VERY interesting how different ones of us ( if glitchen isnt the right word, then what is ?) perceive the Giants differently , even though we read the same source material ( lore) . I love the variety , I find it fascinating.
    On the IMG tree idea, Spriggan celebration , on Root day , sounds good. Was thinking maybe to keep it from being exploited do the following : When making a "large" donation to Spriggan during the holiday , you get a chance ( 1 in 3?) to get "sent" to a small area that has an IMG tree. Once you harvest the tree , ONE time , then you would exit the area. It wont regen . Maybe set a limit of no more than 5 visits for the whole holiday per player.