Usernames :O

Comments

• @chaos, perhaps the dread pirate roberta?
  • @FlatEarther I like what you just did ;)
  • Either SB1981 or Sommer
  • I like Sommer
  • edited January 2015
    @rasamalai Most likley not, concerning the children issue. Most games are 13+ for a reason. The biggest is so that they dont have to worry about as much about what content they add. Secondly its so their game can appeal to a larger audience. Thirdly it has to do with accountability. Also if youve played games that are aimed at kids youll notice a few things that are very different right off the bat...such as heavily monitored chats, and any social interaction in those games is usually looked at. Glitch was heavy in innuendo, puns, and drug references , and thats not counting conversations in public chats, so i doubt the age restriction will change
  • edited January 2015
    @"Lyrical Dejavu"
    But she doesn't know how to read and she doesn't want to learn just yet, plus, she doesn't speak English! <3

PS. I don't know how to tag you, even though it's been fixed! :C
    Edit: I read how to tag you on the how to thread
  • I'm really hoping I'll be able to keep my original Glitch name.
  • @rasamalai it is also to protect your children from online predators. With open chat, they can tell anyone anything such as their name, ages, where they live. That's what Lyrical was getting at - with children's games the only way they have chat is if it is well structured, so they can't divulge that type of information.

Even in Glitch, we had a few people that weren't always the most honest, acting as if they were children when they were adults...this can create an environment where an adult may bait a small child into thinking they are a kid too. If there aren't small children in the game, then it make the game less appealing to those types of people.

It also protects the adults in game from being accused of being pedophiles. I played a previous game that was for adults, but when younger children found the game via FB (and thought it was cute because the cartoon like characters), the adults who had been there since Beta testing were getting accused of stalking the children by their parents. It was originally an adult game, and the kids had essentially ignored the terms of service.
  • Hope to still be soymocha in game. Been soy for years now in the games I've played. Would be lost if I was soy no more.
  • @soymocha @aley You've already got it! The account you created is the one that will be used for the game - it's simply a matter of ticking a box to allow you access under this account. You're safe!
  • Ahh, cool, and thank you for confirming that Ladyceres.
  • @rasamalai Aside from the obvious social safety concerns with children under 13, there are legal issues--websites can't collect personal information, like email addresses, from kids 12 and under without parental consent, and not the click-a-button type. When my 9-year-old got an account at Neopets, I had to fax in a permission form for her. Eleven has a small team of volunteers and probably doesn't have a lawyer on tap to navigate the legal issues; it's much simpler to say "nobody under 13 can have an account."

Relevant wikipedia article: COPPA

That won't prevent people under 13 from being there--but it means *any* liability is handed over to the parents; the site is not responsible for what happens to them. However, to be legally covered, the site has to remove under-13s when they're informed about them.
  • I was originally Snails on Glitch, but I'm thinking about going with Thom, my real name.
  • @b3achy & @"Eris Lord Freedom" Welp, I don't mean to cause anyone any trouble nor to expose her to any danger.
    As I had mentioned: she doesn't read or write and wouldn't be typing or reading the chat plus she doesn't speak English.

In any case, I was just hoping to be able to play together with her since we play other online multiplayer games together and she has been asking to play Glitch for a few years now.
  • I was WifeofToeLivz in Glitch ... just changing it up a lil bit ~ now MrsToeLIvz
  • PinkyDeath for eva :)
  • So many old Glitchen I never got to meet! Welcome back!
  • There are so many people I recognize! Welcome back! Hopefully this time 'round I can actually be a part of the community with you all lmao
  • edited January 2015
    13+ games , are considered general audience most games fall in this category, those games are going for the most broad of audience but kids games aim for 13 and under and adult games are 18 +or 21+ , in either case the latter two they have restrictions or lack of them, and screen to restrict and get rid of the other age groups. For kids games its to protect them, and for adults its so no kids access that type of content,(both protection and legal issues) but for the 13+ category its mostly legal related, content wise, its hard to monitor chats (which has to be done in the -13 games) and often no fun if chats are monitored or if content is overly restrictive for most players . Ive been accused of this or that for no reason as well in games. If its a responsible game they look into things and act accordingly. Anything that goes against the TOS a game has the right to kick out , suspend, or delete accounts for anything that violates it. Its not only age anything that would essentially get a business in trouble is in there, and they can be held accountable if it occurs which is why its in the TOS to begin with.
  • And hi ppls!!!
  • Zubes will forever be Zubes. :)
  • I will probably stay amandajean. Otherwise, Pyrela, which is a name on another game.
  • Youre forum name is youre ingame name btw, to reserve a name all you need to do is make an account :)
  • Hi Everyone! I was Gupfee in game, and Gupfee I'll remain (just have to fix that pesky capital). Looking forward to seeing old friends again and meeting new ones.
  • I've been K`shandra (with or without the backtick) on almost every online forum I've ever used, going back *gulp* more than 20 years now. (I didn't have the backtick on Glitch, but if I was able to use it signing up for the forums here, I assume I'll get to keep it in game...)
  • katyroo, of course! And I can beat @K'shandra, as I've gone by that since my freshman year of college... many, many decades ago! And howdy to everyGlitchen!!!
  • I was Trucker Dave there and I'll be Trucker Dave here!! I can't believe I just now found this. Wow.
  • Gizgazzuz Guziz before and always!
  • Hyla, of course!
  • I'm always fussycat, no change there. I prefer it in lowercase, for some reason.