Glitchy Explanations for Odd Phenomena

edited June 2015 in Ideas
This is a thread to point out some of the weird happenings in Ur and try to find explanations for them. Perhaps the explanations may find their way into the game one day? Who knows! Of course, your explanations shouldn't be entirely down-to-Urth—that's no fun. Be creative!

I'll start:

Where do the containers come from when you blend down or shake up a drink? From what realm do the dishes arrive when you make a meal? Why does that nifty bottle come out of nowhere when you shine the moon? It is quite the mystery, but the mystery may now be unmystified with the discovery of a special stone.

The Container's Stone, a large, smooth, and hollow rock that contains an infinite realm of containers. Created by the Container—a Glitchen obsessed with making sure everything had a neat place in their home—is responsible for this item, and for this obsessive organizer, Storage Display Boxes simply weren't enough!

The Container's Stone is a mystical item that sends one of its many containers contained within its containment to Glitchen when they need something to be contained, plopping these items right into their containers. Some containers are closed, some are open. Sometimes a nice and open plate is all that is needed, and sometimes one must go so far as to use a cup or bowl. Regardless of the cause, the Container's Stone sends out dishes and saucers and glasses and bottles alike to make sure that all things that need containment are, indeed, contained!

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I like your Container Stone backstory Seeen.

Up to now, I suppose I'd always just presumed those items to be provided as items of accommodation in the giants dreaming. You know, much like we urthlings will dream experiences that require abit of imaginative "accommodation" that challenge the normal laws of nature in order to be plausible during dreaming. Like just about everything else in the game.

I like your idea better. :^)
  • edited June 2015
    Thank you, @Plez! I used to run under the same assumption, but a few days ago, I was thinking it would be cool if there were in-game locations and explanations based on stuff like this, and came up with something.

Also, anyone who's reading this thread that doesn't have any explanations or ideas... Mention a phenomenon you'd like to see some Glitchy explanations for! I'll do my best to create something, and I'm sure many other Glitchen around here will do the same.
  • Here's a few phenomena that may need explanations:
    * Like in most games, inventories can hold a lot. What if Eleven had a reason?
    * Where do Magic Rocks come from?
    * Where do Quests come from?
  • For the last two Giants wanted to watch you play around.
  • Zille personally mines the Magic Rocks. She's the only one who knows what part of Ilminskie Extra Deeps they come from. I thought at first that she made sure every Glitchen got one on his or her imagining day, but that doesn't really seem like her style. Instead, she brings them to Tii, who actually enjoys the paperwork involved in making sure the Magic Rocks all show up at the right place.
  • I thought Lem was the Giant for paperwork.
  • You're right. Tii is numbers, so in my mind ze was also every other thing that makes me break out in hives. I just checked, and Bureaucratic Arts is indeed from Lem. My apologies to you, and to all giants involved.
  • I haz questions!!! Why gnomes? Who made No-no powder? Are we using it the right way? Is sneezing powder possibly a defense tactic? Are cubimals pets or toys? Which giant should I ask for tattoos to be added to wardrobe? Who puts the mail in my mailbox? Shouldn't we be washing our hands after gathering bat guano? I know this last question is off track but good hygiene is important. Thanks!
  • @coolbetty - I imagine I have a small scooper and a useful bag for guano, no way am I picking that up with my bare hands!
  • edited June 2015
    "Zille personally mines the Magic Rocks. She's the only one who knows what part of Ilminskie Extra Deeps they come from. I thought at first that she made sure every Glitchen got one on his or her imagining day, but that doesn't really seem like her style. Instead, she brings them to Tii, who actually enjoys the paperwork involved in making sure the Magic Rocks all show up at the right place."

Hmmm. I dunno, it kind of feels to me that it should be more ambiguous whether the Giants can directly interact with the world at all.

"Why gnomes? Who made No-no powder? Are we using it the right way?"

Gnomes were an ancient race that once populated Ur. In their development, they discovered many scientific arts, developing a powder called No-No Powder that, to them, was a panacea. However, they were so excited about this new development that it was overmade, and after a few overdosed and suffered a terrible fate, the legal battle that resulted from it wiped out their entire civilization as it escalated from lawyers arguing to bureaucracy going straight into war mode. The war was so terrible that it caused an upset that resulting in a blast of imaginary energy. While most creatures were unaffected, all of the gnomes turned to lawn ornaments... except for those who were in the bureaucratic battle. They became bureaucrocs.
  • Why is it called Zilloween, when we carve pumpkins? Shouldn't we be carving rocks?
  • @b3achy Perhaps we're using our...rockmining skillz...to carve pumpkins? I CANNOT COME UP WITH ANYTHING COOL
  • edited July 2015
    Oh, I have a thing in my head working away, and it's not ready to write out properly yet, but it has to do with how Mab was working on a new crop but went to one of Friendly's Remember parties and when she woke up the next week she had got pumpkins. Of course, a) she couldn't remember the party, and b) they weren't your typical crop or herb and she went to Pot to figure out what to do with them. Pot had some ideas, but neither of them could manage to get the darn things open.
    They went to the other giants to solicit some assistance, but no one could help them until they visited Zille deep in the caverns of Grumbla, creating sparkly nodes in Pollokoo. Zille reminded Mab they had had a debate at the party and Mab said that she could grow better rocks than Zille. The pumpkin was the result - not properly a vegetable at all, but a rock. See, it can be mined with a pickaxe!
    Ever since then, pumpkins can be mined or grown any time but can only be properly broken into during Zille's month, and star in her celebration.
  • @"Scarlett Bearsdale" YES that's totally what I meant. >.>
  • So basically, pumpkins are the misfit—an attempt to make a rock by a Giant that could make only vegetables?
  • Yep! And instead of getting elements, you get pepitas inside!