Groups old and new?

Comments

• @Palindrome Very true, I haven't heard about either of them!
  • Yes to Community Kitchen, and a plug for Civility, too. I was a member of both. I do have Splendora's email (and Bachjess, PTB3, and Pippa) and I will be sending them a heads up on this project.
  • I actually started a small one called the Cubimal Racing League (old IGN was thatkidtyler). It was overly complicated and fairly lore-heavy, so maybe doing another that's more simplified would be fun. I know when the closing was announced I let it go and it was run by a few more members.
  • Sandbox | Snapshotting *:)

One of my favourite challenges, was 'Operation Group Snapshotting'.

In this one, Glitchen acted as batterflies:

https://flickr.com/#/photos/36563999@N03/6684308135/

It was just hilarious from the get go; lots of fun. *:)
  • I created a group called bob's powders. I made powders and sent the to people for free. No charge required! People (glitch with the kindest community) still sent me things. It was sweet of them and It was a fun thing for me to do for others :)
  • @Smallchalet - I had forgotten about the Sandbox group. I think that was the one I had also joined to do additional 'missions'/quests. Glitchen are so creative. I probably should have spend more time there, than some of the other groups I read on the forums.
  • Civility Group! The Civility Group was a marvelous crowd of players who lived their Glitch life based on the values of the Group - civililty, courtesy, honor, sharing, caring, friendship, helping.
  • @"Lill Missy" yeah, I'm sure there will be some incarnation of PBMS!
  • Civility, PBMS, Rook attacks, Sandbox, were some of the biggest groups if i remember right, past that i cant really remember, i was in Rook attacks, think that was about it though, everyone thought i was in Civility but i wasnt, while the message was good, i always felt telling ppl how to play was anything but and refused to join it for that reason, but to each their own on that, still had lots of friends in the group nonetheless
  • edited March 2015
    @"Lyrical Dejavu": Civility was definitely not about telling others how to play; only members were required to uphold the Civility code. In fact, I was involved in handling an incident in which a Civility member was berating a couple of non-members for their perceived "uncivility", and tried to get other members to do the same. We told that member that condemning other players was definitely uncivil, and won't be tolerated within Civility. Civility was not an inquisition or a weapon to wield against players you didn't like. Civility was a safe space for people who wanted to create a group built on kindness, empathy, and generosity.

~* The More You Know *~

I wonder if you and I ever crossed paths? I'm not getting any 'bing's from your name. Oh, well... I hope that we meet up in the New Ur! :D
  • edited March 2015
    I did say to each their own, in my opinion it doesnt matter how it was done, civil or not, while ppl being nice and civil is good, telling ppl even nicely whats acceptable or not, even though its not against game rules, is bad to me. The ppl that got bent out of shape over rocks not fully mined or plots not weeded , a lot were in that group. I had plenty of freinds in it, i got invited a ton to it, even after close i was. For the most part i never voiced my objections, as to why i wouldnt join it. But my objections werent uncommon. It often came across as this is expected you need to do it or else, whether it was done nice or not at its core that was the message. It was a very controversial group . When it comes to Civility you were either all for or all against, there was little inbetween. Informing is one thing, insisting or demanding is another, most of it was informing but not all. And it wasnt a one time thing to see ppl step over that line. It happened a lot. Were most Civility group members like this? no, but most of the - this is the way things must be done - ppl were in the group nonetheless. Stuff like that should be part of the info in the tutorial or from the greeters but not in the hands of players. IMO

And since you had to ask.......
    http://www.glitchthegame.com/profiles/PHVH3D3KFJ92PUJ/
  • Well, I certainly don't have interest in debating over two different perceptions of something from long ago. Suffice to say, if I have anything to do with a new version of the group, it will not be about bouncing around Ur telling people how they have to play.

Oh! I completely forgot about my profile page! Waves of nostalgia! Happy Friday!
    http://www.glitchthegame.com/profiles/PHF7GGVE82D2TMM/
  • edited March 2015
    The thing was that there is a huge difference between behaving being civil and promoting being civil. Behaving would be doing things nice for ppl, such as the free items route or the food kitchens, or simply being nice to newbies. Promoting civil is more along the lines of telling ppl what is expected of them, and thats where the problem came in, it doesnt matter how its done or how nicely its done, its still telling ppl what to do. You get much farther with ppl by being nice to them to encourage good behavior, then by telling them such and such is expected. And there was plenty of both going on but only the latter is a problem. Any code of conduct should not be enforced by players. Feel free to be nice, no problem with that the problem is with the promoting of a code of conduct, and one not in the TOS
  • I think you got your parser in the wrong place; there's a difference between promoting civility and enforcing civility. ;)

What good is being civil if you have to stay in the closet about it? That's not enforcing; that's just living out loud! :D

Wait; didn't I already say I'm not interested in debating perception? It was all permitted by the TOS, from the garden poaching to the misguided shaming and berating. We're just going to have to agree to only slightly disagree (because it sounds like we're fundamentally in agreement).

Thread Hijack!

What I really want is to play again, so conversations like these can go from anthropological/theoretical to current/practical.

Did I mention Community Kitchen was awesome? Oh yes, I did. One of the best parts was being one of the chefs, doing the prep and grinding together, through piles and piles of ingredients to generate plate after plate of tasty morsels. Let's do that again!
  • edited March 2015
    My point was by doing things / activities, or what have you , alone promotes being civil. Nothing else is needed. The code of conduct trying to be pushed was about behaviors that were not against the rules to begin with. When someone walks up to you and tells you such and such is expected...nomatter how its done....the results only end in a few ways, they do what was asked, or they get annoyed, or they do the opposite of what was asked. Its more effective, less stressful on everyone involved when ppl learn by example and are not told, and many find it very rude when they are told. Players simply do not need to police other players. Unless of course something is against the TOS happens and you report it, but thats not the same as doing the policing personally.

And i wasnt saying the activities were against the TOS....i was saying if something is NOT against the game rules (TOS) its not our place to try and enforce another set of standards

• @Hyacinth -- Hey, if Splendora is still around and would like to set up the Community Kitchen again, I'd gladly follow her lead. :)
  • edited March 2015
    @"Lyrical Dejavu" - Yeah, we're still talking past each other. I'll be pleased to resume this fine discussion once there's something tangible and current it might relate to. No worries; there are more interesting things to talk about on this thread.

Happy Pi Day, Glitches!

@spathodeas - I've not heard from Splendora in awhile. My last known email of hers evaporated. But she seemed plugged in to the goings-on of the Interwebs, so she may find her way back soon enough.
  • edited March 2015
    Dont see how were talking past each other, i said what i was driving at a few different ways by now, can only rephrase the same points so many times, it was never a theoretical point , it IS what occurred it was rarely addressed then and its not getting addressed now either, cant say im surprised, and this is exactly why few voiced their objections, you can ignore the issue all you want, its still going to be an issue whether you want to admit it was or even why, putting blinders on solves nothing, dismissing instead of discussing doesnt either
  • @Lyrical: From where I'm standing the only person who is being prescriptive, and policing, and telling people how they should play, is you. You have jumped into almost every thread where Civility has come up to deliver a lecture about how terrible they were, and frankly it is getting a little tedious.

'Talking past each other' was Hyacinth's polite way of saying: We get it. You don't want to be told how to play, even by people who have no means of enforcing their suggestions. Your objections have been noted, they have convinced everyone that they're going to convince, and you don't need to explain them again. Really.
  • edited March 2015
    Actually Hyacinth doesnt get it as that was being dismissive, nothing was discussed it was simply dismissed, my point was that behavior 1 of being nice is completely contradictory of behavior 2, and 2 is counterproductive. and this is the only thread that anything got heated about it, not sure if it was brought up before or not but if it did nothing became of it. I said in the original explanation that most Civility members werent like this, but some still were, and it was an issue, one that for the most part that got ignored. And dismissing or brushing ppl off instead of discussing in some manner is exactly why i kept rephrasing, had it of been discussed instead of evaded the topic would of ended already, or at the very least it would of made some valid points on various points, instead of becoming a broken record of the same points

• @"Lyrical Dejavu" I'm sorry your experience with a few members of the old Civility held such negative connotations. I did try to discuss your points, and in fact agree in part with your view. From my perspective, you reiterated your position several times without addressing my distinctions on how to play "civilly". So somewhere in here, we're just not connecting in our discussion. And considering we're discussing something that 1) no longer exists (and has no certain return date) and 2) isn't the primary topic of this thread, I didn't want to waste more of our time attempting to make that connection happen. But, hey, I can have my moments of tenaciousness, so let's try one more time. :)

I do agree that Civility members (past or future) should not run around trying to enforce their code of conduct on other non-members (as illustrated in my case before). I don't agree that Civility members (past or future) have to remain silent about their self-driven code of conduct. I think it is a false dichotomy that either a player must be completely silent about the Civility code or they are lecturing others that they must follow the code. I think there is a clear position in which one can share a play style with others without stating that it is a code other people must follow (unless they've opted-in to the group). Telling people how they have to play without their consent to do so is completely uncivil. Even in the past, I and others spoke out against members who did so.

I can't speak for the whole of Civility's members or its tenure in Ur, only for what I knew. But I don't think the presence of even a single uninvestigated incident invalidates the intentions of the group as a whole. If you experienced situations like the one I described before, then I agree with your assessment of them as not in keeping with a civil conduct. If I had been aware of those, I would have applied the same code I am defending here. I do think that righteousness is one of the key issues that adherents of a civil code must avoid. But I am also sensitive to over-extending the crime of righteousness to simply talking about one's own civil code.

From my perspective, saying that people have to keep quiet about their code attempts to shut it out from influencing social norms driven by the community (as distinct from ToS). This isn't necessarily your intention, but I think that is a consequence of such statements. My opinion is that a Civility code, just like all other opinions and groups of opinions, has a fair shot at being influential on the community's social norms, what contributes to player's enjoyment of the game as a social construct. And the topic of social norms is definitely another long and never-ending conversation that's worthy of a dissertation and a separate thread. :)

Although perhaps within that huge digression is one way this discussion ties back into this thread. One of the things that made us appreciate all these groups is how they contributed to our enjoyment of playing. That's why we're all here trying to will them back into existence. I know that personally, it was the ability to develop a community through groups (and plenty of open-ended-ness about what those groups can be) that kept me coming back for more, and makes me hope that we get that chance again.
  • edited June 2015
    Two groups in particular:

One is one that I started up during the whole spelling thing that a bunch of Glitchen gathered to do. Some of you might have participated! We were all getting together to spell out the Eleven Giants theme. The group was called Spellers of Ur, and our mascot was the Egg Plant. It could probably have a better title.

Another is one that I read about in an article about Glitch and its shutdown. The writer said they were a part of a group called We Drop Stuff. Their purpose was basically to find the most well-hidden places on streets and drop items there for the dedicated explorer types to find. The writer also had a tendency to hide imbued teleportation scrolls to undervisited streets, hoping to make an explorer "double-tickled", as they put it. I love the idea of that group, and would like to see it again, too.
  • @seeen I love that idea! I would love to join WDS if it ever started up again :)
  • edited June 2015
    With groups i liked the ones that hid items or helped new players, or soup kitchens, rehoming of animals or cubimals, those kinds of groups were neat
  • ALL YEEZY WANTS IS A YEEZY FAN CLUB THX IN ADVANCE
  • I was only in PBMS, but mainly I hung on the global chat and jumped in and helped with projects in all groups if they asked.
  • I used to be in a small group with about 10 friends called the Happy Campers. We explored caves, towers, etc.
    I'd also love to be a part of a Brewing group; some sort of Bartenders Union. Anyone planning on making one?
  • I was never a part of many groups, I always was (and still somewhat am) kinda shy, I had like three friends and only talked to them, but I'm hoping I can join some great groups this time around!
  • I've never heard of community kitchen as a group, but as an avid potian and chef I'd be ecstatic to join! can anyone tell me a little more about it?

the only other group I was an active member of was the rook alerts, I wasn't very social in game, but I'd love the chance to cook with people
  • @Sutton - Don't worry about it. I was a shy person, too. You'll find the right group for you.

@kachek47 - I can only share what I experienced as a newer member of Community Kitchen since the game ended before I could really get going. I remember there were initiation tasks (cook a certain meal, prepare a certain drink, etc.). There was also a kind of hiking activity where you had to visit all the spots in Ur where food spawned. But really, I don't remember any hard and fast rules. The most important part of being in the group was sharing what you made. We were encouraged to give random Glitchen food for free. If you had a tower, you were encouraged to sell your food for just one currant. The main tower was Splendora's, and I think she took donations from other CK members to give away. I'm not sure; it seems to have been a thing in the CK's earlier days.